It’s been a hot minute since I posted a recipe on here that doesn’t include mushrooms, spinach and eggs. Clearly breaking my own rules so I’m here to promptly correct that.
Baking eggs this way somehow seems to transcend the whole ‘eggs are breakfast’ mindset. Or so I’ve gathered from conversations. (We eat salads for breakfast. So I should be the last person you should talk to about this arbitrary distinction though.)
Simple enough: cook the mushrooms and spinach in a skillet until all the excess moisture they generate dry out. Make divots in between the veg and nestle an egg into each. Cover and cook just until the whites set. Runny yolks are the only way we eat them, but of course cook them for longer if you want them firmer.
The chilli butter comes together in seconds and is the perfect condiment to top the eggs with. This ad hoc chilli oil/butter approach is so convenient for these quick meals.
The mushrooms in question are button mushrooms since they’re the easiest to find, but I would absolutely recommend subbing them out with oyster mushrooms or a combination of the two.
EGGS WITH MUSHROOMS & SPINACH + QUICK CHILLI BUTTER
- 4 eggs
- 400 grams mushrooms
- 200 grams spinach
- 10 grams butter or 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 avocado, cubed (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 20 grams butter
- 2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Chilli oil: heat butter in a small pan over medium heat. Once the butter melts, add the chilli flakes, garlic, salt and sugar. Stir for 20 seconds and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Chop the spinach and set aside. Slice the mushrooms keeping the stalks intact. Heat butter/oil in a large wide skillet. Tip in the mushrooms. Spread them out.
- Leave them untouched to brown the bottom. Once they start to colour, toss and let the water evaporate.
- Add the spinach to the mushrooms in the skillet and toss. We want to again rid the spinach of all the excess water it generates as it cooks. Dry them out completely in the skillet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make 4 divots between the veg and crack an egg into each. Cover with a lid and cook until the whites are just set, about 5 mins. We like the yolks runny but cook for longer if you want them more set.
- Serve with avocado if using and drizzle chilli butter all over the top. Serve hot with bread.
Leave a Reply