makes 15 medium-sized fritters
- 300 grams prawns, deveined and cleaned (fresh or thawed)
- 2 tbsp mango ginger, grated
- 2 spring onion stalks, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp spicy bean paste (or 2 tbsp hot chilli sauce)
- 5 tbsp rice flour
- 1/4 cup coriander leaves and stems, chopped
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (or any other oil of your choice)
- 1 egg
- Salt, to taste
- Lemon wedges, to serve
- Lay the prawns out on a kitchen towel and pat dry. Add them a blender jar and blitz for a few seconds until coarsely ground (you want finely chopped bits, not a smooth paste).
- Add the prawn mixture to a large bowl and stir in all the other ingredients. Mix with a spatula until combined. Cover and refrigerate for at least half hour (can be kept in the refrigerator for up to six hours).
- Heat a shallow pan with just enough oil to coat the bottom evenly. Once hot, dollop in small amounts of the batter and flatten slightly with a spatula. Continue with the rest, making sure to leave at least two inches between each fritter. Don’t be tempted to turn the fritters until they are nicely browned at the bottom, about 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes more. Remove and drain off the excess oil on a kitchen towel. Fry the fritters in batches adding a little more oil to the pan each time.
- Serve hot or at room temperature with lemon wedges on the side.
Leave a Reply