- 500 ml full-fat yogurt
- 6 ripe plums
- Seeds from half a vanilla pod or ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey (plus 1 tbsp for plums)
- 1/4 cup desiccated or grated coconut
- 1/8 tsp free-flowing salt
- Cheese cloth or muslin
- Medium-sized bowl
- Place the colander in the bowl. Place the cheese cloth in the colander with its ends hanging over.
- Dollop the yogurt into the center of the cheese cloth and bring the ends of the cloth together into a knot. Note: make sure the colander is placed at least a few inches from the bottom of the bowl, so that the whey that collects at the bottom doesn’t touch the cheese cloth.
- Place something hard (like a mortar or a brick?) on top of the yogurt and refrigerate for at least 6 hours (can be left overnight). The hung yogurt can be dolloped into a jar and refrigerated at this stage for up to a week. If using right away, add the hung yogurt to a bowl and stir in salt, vanilla, and honey.
- Halve the plums lengthwise and place in a baking tray. Drizzle over some honey and bake in a preheated 160 C oven for 15-20 minutes.
- Toast the coconut in a dry pan until golden and aromatic. To serve, divide yogurt between bowls and top with roasted plums and toasted coconut. Serve immediately.
Leave a Reply