Think loaded nachos with all the fixins—peppers, corn, onions, tomatoes, cheese—but with sweet potatoes instead of tortilla chips. Keeping with the Tex-mex theme, I also sometimes add olives and pickled jalapenos to the mix. Choose your own adventure and go with what you want/have on hand.
The assemblage: I do a double layer here. You get a good amount of everything in one bite that way. Also you get an extra layer of cheese in the middle that melts and clings to everything in its proximity. Like these wedges don’t have enough going for them already, this makes it look fancy too for absolutely no effort on your part.
The chopping admittedly is a bit fiddly, but then again a lot of that has got to do with my rubbish knife skills and lack of patience. Definitely easier if you’re of a tolerant bent. Chop your veg, roast your sweet potatoes, grate your cheese. Do some of this the day before if you’d like to make things easier.
So it goes like this – half the amount of roasted sweet potato wedges at the bottom, half the vegetables, half the cheese. Repeat this layer one more time starting with wedges and ending with cheese. Bake until the cheese melts through.
Meanwhile make the avocado crema (I hate using fancy names but apparently that’s what it’s called, and ‘cream’ just doesn’t cut it): avocado, green chilli, coriander, lime juice and salt. Blended and dolloped over the wedges. Like sour cream, only better. Serve with jammy eggs on the side.
LOADED SWEET POTATO WEDGES
- 750 grams sweet potato
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded and finely chopped
- 1 ear of corn (or ½ cup frozen corn)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 125 grams grated cheddar
- 2 ½ teaspoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika (optional)
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 small avocado
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves
- 1 ½ tablespoons lime juice
- 1 green chilli
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200 C.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop them into wedges. Toss with olive oil, chilli powder, paprika if using, oregano and salt. Roast for 45 mins or until golden and slightly crispy.
- If using an ear of corn, boil in salted water in a pot or pressure cooker. Run a knife down the length of the cob and as close to the center as possible to release the kernels. If using frozen corn, boil in salted water until tender, about 5-7 mins.
- Add half the amount of wedges to an ovenproof dish. Top with half the amount of corn, red peppers, tomatoes and onions. Add half the amount of cheese. Repeat one more time in the same order starting with wedges and ending with cheese.
- Bake in a 180 C oven for about 10 mins or until the cheese has completely melted through. Top with coriander leaves.
- Avocado crema: blend the avocado, coriander leaves, lime juice, green chilli and salt to a smooth sauce. Taste and adjust lime juice.
- Dollop the crema over the top and serve immediately. This dish can be assembled up to a day in advance. Bake just before serving.