Had to add the ‘no mayo’ banner to the title to make it loud and clear that creaminess can be achieved without dousing everything in (my very biased, crude opinion)—goop. From being a downright rejecter of the eggy dressing, I’ve now become somewhat tolerant to it in a few, very specific things. But either way, if the same result can be achieved without its presence, even better.
This dressing packs a punch – Dijon mustard, lime juice and hot sauce (we are partial to Sriracha but any kind would work). Minced onions go in for extra heat and flavour. Whisked into a thick paste and tossed through the eggs, you won’t miss coating everything in sulphurous food glue here. Not to push my aggressive condiment vendetta onto you or anything.
BREAKFAST EGG SALAD (NO MAYO)
- 4 boiled eggs
- 2 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ½ teaspoons lime juice, or to taste
- 1 ½ teaspoons Sriracha or other hot sauce (plus more to serve)
- Salt, to taste
- Lettuce or other salad greens, to serve
- Whisk together Dijon mustard, lime juice, Sriracha and onions in a small bowl. Taste and add salt if required. Add more lime juice and Sriracha if needed. This is the dressing.
- Chop the boiled eggs into small pieces. Add the dressing and toss to coat evenly.
- Lay them over the lettuce leaves and drizzle over more Sriracha. Serve with toast.